Thursday, March 13, 2008

Overview of My Topic

What should MLB do with the records and status of known users of performance enhancing drugs?

This is the most talked issue right now in baseball. Everyone has an opinion on this issue. Are performance enhancing drugs illegal, are they banned in baseball? As more and more classic records are broken, what should baseball do when there is a question of drugs? Should players be allowed to keep their records? Should the records have an asterik? Should the records be thrown out? What about the Hall of Fame? Should they be allowed to be considered for it? Should they be kept out of the Hall of Fame?

I selected this issue because I am an avid baseball fan, to be specific an avid Yankees fan. With Barry Bonds breaking the most treasured record in baseball last year, the question of what to do with the records became very important. Major League Baseball has been carefully avoiding and putting off this issue. I am trying to prove that they should keep the records of known performance enhancing users. They should move on from the past, and work on preventing it in the future.



2 comments:

MOlly said...

Very interesting topic, and very current -I like it. I'm curious to see how you are going to develop your position and why you think that players using steroids deserve to be included in records and statistics (deserve is really the key). I really can't say that I agree with you on this issue, but I respect your opinion and will read how you support this. One of the cons you may want to consider arguing against would be that using steroids is the same as cheating. I don't think that it is fair that all these baseball players have admitted to using steroids and they are still playing in the major league.. Maybe you agree with me on that, maybe you don't. But I think that if you discuss both the pro and con side of your topic it will strengthen your essay.

MOlly said...

Wow- steroids allowed in baseball!? Not so. Actually only with a doctor's prescription- just like anti-depressants, valium, etc..

Jackson was acquitted in criminal court by a judge and jury. However, he was banned from baseball due to his "alleged involvement". The commissioner of baseball was not, and still is not, above the law, but he chose to deal with Jackson and ban him from the game for life.

In most states, both state and federal laws prohibit anabolic steroids, and a person can be prosecuted under either. I don't think baseball has its own separate laws to adhere to.